RECIPE: Arroz caldoso with wild yabby and seaweed
This recipe is courtesy of The Robert Burns Hotel.
4 tbsp olive oil
500g yabbies, cut in half length ways (head to tail)
1 tbsp salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red capsicum (fresh if available or preserved), finely diced
2 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
1 bay leaf
5 cups fish stock
4 saffron threads
1 tsp Spanish (smoked) paprika
1½ cups bomba or calasparra rice (or arborioo)
100g wakame fresh seaweed (available from specialty stores)
Flat leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan or paella pan over a medium heat.
2. Season the yabbies with a little salt and add to the pan when the oil is sizzling. Seal and fry until golden in colour and set aside. In the same pan, cook the garlic, capsicum and tomatoes with bay leaf for 15 minutes until they start to turn a golden colour. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, start to heat the fish stock.
3. Add the tablespoon of salt, saffron and paprika to tomato mix and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the rice, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add hot fish stock, turn the heat back up to medium and cook for 12-15 minutes, then add the yabbies and seaweed, cooking for a further eight minutes, seasoning with more salt if needed. The rice should be al dente.
6. Rest for a few minutes before garnishing with flat leaf parsley.