Back in 2011 I was in love with Three Bags Full; in fact, it is the first place I reviewed about on peach-water.com. 1.5 years later, Three Bags full has been sold off; Two Birds One Stone has been open for 8 months.
Now, Top Paddock is in the scene. I remembered following Top Paddock’s twitter account from the very beginning and had been anticipating the opening for quite some time.
In this blog post, I will be provide two reviews. One on opening day, and one couple weeks later.
Visit #1: Opening Day
Oh boy was I excited! With great anticipation I drove all the way to Richmond to visit Top Paddock. It was crazy hot and also there was a huge crowd.
As I had only visited on my own, the wait time was quite minimal, and I was given a bench seat outside.
To start off, I had a skinny latte.
When I was handed the menu, I studied it for a long while. There was so many choices that it was extremely difficult to choose. So in the end, I chose Top Paddock.
When my plate of food arrived it was accidentally given to a guy who sat next to me. Later when the waitress left, the guy said to me “You know, I wouldn’t have mind saying that the plate is mine, because that looks amazing!”
Trust me, this dish is phenomenal and I would strongly recommend this dish to anyone who visits. It is a large dish, but worth going into a food coma for!
There’s a lot of ingredients in this dish but I love every bit of it.
1. House Made Sausage: At first I thought the sausage would be presented like most cafes (the whole sausage), but here they presented it sliced! I adore it. Slightly charred but tasted great. Full of flavour and slightly peppery.
2. Bacon: A lean piece of bacon and not too fatty! Perfect for someone like me who dislikes fatty bacon. It’s very meaty mind you! 🙂
3. Adelaide Green Tomatoes: Oh these tomatoes are gems! Slightly tart-ish and slightly sweet.
4. Pickled onions: These were pickled to perfection. I loved the tangy taste and it went really well with the sausages!
5. Relish: I found the relish to be a bit on the sweet side, but I still enjoyed eating it with the bacon!
6. Poached eggs: Two poached eggs and when I poked it, liquid gold came out! YUM! Love my poached eggs 😀
Here comes the naughty bit. It was a hot day, I was extremely thirsty, but I wanted something sweet.
I told the waitress that I wanted a strawberry milkshake, and she came back with a mixed berries smoothie. When I told her, she said “Oh sorry I forgot, I assumed that you wanted a mixed berry smoothie because it’s healthy”
Luckily it was a good drink and refreshing, so I didn’t care too much!
As if that mixed berry drink isn’t enough sugar! Well… I ended up ordering a cupcake, because it caught my attention when I walked into the cafe.
Unfortunately I was quite disappointed with the cupcake. The cupcake itself was pretty moist, but it was the thick layer of overly sweet grainy icing that ruined it. Having said that, it looked very pretty right? 🙂