Want to get a headstart on your Easter menu AND add something a little different to blow your mates’ hair back AND avoid basic chocolate eggs? Spice Temple has you covered with this swish little number: jasmine tea egg with smoked chicken salad. Eggs and chicken? Sure. Eggs represent new beginnings and also represent fertility and the joy this brings to families. Chickens make eggs. Circle of life, friends. Enjoy.
You will need to prepare the jasmine tea eggs a day in advance.
For the jasmine tea infused eggs
2 eggs, room temperature
2tbsp jasmine tea leaves
1 cup dark soy sauce
2 cloves star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup water
For the smoked chicken salad
2 smoked chicken marylands (a cut of chicken which contains both drumstick and thigh), store bought
ó bunch spring onion
ó bunch coriander
2tbsp crispy chilli oil, Laoganma brand
For the black Vinegar Dressing
75ml black vinegar
45ml chilli oil
25g caster sugar
5g table salt
For the eggs
1. In a cooking pot over high heat, combine dark soy sauce, water, star anise, cinnamon stick and jasmine tea. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Take the mixture off the heat and cool down to room temperature.
3. In a separate pot, bring water to the boil and gently place eggs into the pot.
Cook for 7 minutes. Remove and place into a bowl of ice water immediately.
4. Once the eggs have cooled down, gently tap the sides with a spoon to create even cracks.
5. Place eggs in a separate bowl and pour over the tea infused dark soy until submerged. Leave eggs to rest in the fridge overnight.
For the salad dressing
1. To prepare the salad dressing, place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well until chilli oil and black vinegar and fully combined.
2. Cut cucumber and spring onion into fine long strips.
3. Then, roughly chop coriander.
4. Shred chicken into bite sized pieces and place in a salad bowl.
5. To serve the dish, peel the tea infused eggs and cut into quarters.
6. Combine cucumber, spring onion, coriander and crispy chilli oil with your smoked chicken, and then dress well with black vinegar dressing.
7. Serve the egg along with the smoked chicken salad.